Easy Zucchini Ham Pie with Mozzarella (low carb)
Some dishes are made out of necessity, when I just make something with ingredients I have left because I don’t feel like grocery shopping. This is a dish like that.
I often have zucchini in my fridge as it’s super versatile. And I always like dishes made in the oven as it’s easy to prepare ahead of time. This dish really came together as an experiment because I didn’t want to eat carbs after going to the gym (which I still dislike) that day. I used the dish to accompany a piece of good grilled duck breast. You could just add whatever you like or make a bigger portion as a full meal. You could even use the recipe as the filling of a quiche (although that would mean it’s not low carb anymore).
Ingredients (for 2 people)
- 1 zucchini (or 2 small ones)
- 1 ball (buffalo) mozzarella
- app 100 g raw ham such as (whatever kind you like)
- piece of Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese for grating
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees or 180 degrees for a convection oven
- Grease a baking tin (whatever form you want to use, could also be a round one) with some oil
- Wash the zucchini and slice in very thin strips (use a vegetable slicer or peeler)
- Cut the mozzarella into slices and grate the Parmesan
- Build the pie; place the strips of zucchini, ham, mozzarella in the baking form and add (little of the) the spices to each layer
- End with the grated cheese on top
- Pop in the oven for app 20 minutes or until it looks okay and the zucchini is soft to the touch when you stick a fork in it.
- Turn the tin over by placing a plate on top and than turn both tin and plate at the same time. Place a chopping board on top of the pie (the bottom) and turn once more. Now the right side is turned up.
- Slice and serve right away.