Paul’s creamy mushroom risotto
Paul Meerman is co-owner and head chef of Brasserie Zandberg in Breda, the Netherlands where he creates the most delicious and beautiful dishes.
I am very happy that Paul was so kind to write a recipe for me that I can now share with you. This is a delicious creamy mushroom risotto that’s perfect for autumn.
I am sure you will enjoy it!
And whenever you are in the area, Paul’s restaurant is definitely worth a visit!
Ingredients for 4 people (and 2 little ones)
- 600 gr risotto rice (arborio)
- 500 gr mushrooms (whatever you like and is in season)
- 900 ml mushroom stock from cubes
- 2 shallots
- rocket salad
- olive oil
- 300 ml cream
- tarragon (fresh or dried)
- pepper and salt to taste
- Parmesan cheese (grated)
Things you need from your kitchen
- cooking pot without lid
- frying pan
- chopping board
- kitchen knife
- water cooker
1. Chop the shallot finely
2. Cook a liter of water and make stock with the stock cube(s).
2. Put the cooking pot, with 2 tbsp olive oil, on the stove on medium heat and add the rice with the shallot and some pepper and salt. Stir quickly till the rice is shiny
3. Add the warm stock at once and simmer for ca 14 min until the rice is cooked and all stock absorbed; check it first. The rice can still have a bit of a bite. Turn off the heat and set aside.
4. Clean the mushrooms and chop them in strips.
5. Warm the frying pan, add some olive oil and bake the mushrooms with a bit of tarragon.
6. Warm the risotto rice with the cream until hot and creamy. Dress on a plate; start with the risotto than the rocket salad, put the fried mushrooms on top and top with some Parmesan (according to taste)